Using writing prompts for kids is a great way to introduce them to the fun of writing and get them started on developing a habit to write. A writing prompt is a sentence, question or picture that provides a starting point for writing. They are great for getting kids to use their imagination and simply start writing. Children can start using them from as young as 5 to 6 years of age. It is never too early to get them started on developing a habit for daily or frequent writing.
3 benefits of using writing prompts:
1. Help kids to think out of the box.
An unusual prompt helps to expand a child’s thinking and is a starting point to get kids to write something which they have not thought of before.
2. Increase creativity.
Kids get to use their imagination and creativity to respond to the prompts. A picture prompt is a great way for developing young children’s creativity skills. Simply show them a picture and get them to write about it!
3. Develop an interest in writing.
When interesting and fun prompts are being used, kids are more motivated to write, as they deem it as play and not work.
Writing Prompts for Kids
I’ve come up with a list of 20 writing prompts that you can use with your kids.
1. Your parents gave you a surprise present one day, for no particular reason. What was the present and what did you do about it?
2. A day in the life of a hamster.
3. You entered a room full of soft sand. Describe what you did.
4. Daddy is bringing you for a trip to the moon! Describe your journey.
5. You found a $50 note on the floor. What happened next?
6. You have a special ability to be invisible. Where would you go and what did you do?
7. Aliens from Mars came for a visit. Describe what happened?
8. Whatever you drew came to life. What would you draw and why?
9. You became as tiny as an ant. Describe your adventure.
10. If you could invent anything, what would it be?
11. What would you do if you could fly?
12. You have an elephant for a pet. Write about it.
13. You are given three wishes. What would they be?
14. Invent a new dish.
15. Describe a happy day.
16. You visited the Giant’s castle in Jack and the Beanstalk story. What did you see?
17. What would you buy if you have all the money in the world?
18. Invent something that would make your life better and easier.
19. The sun did not rise for a day. Describe what happened.
20. Imagine you have the ability to breathe in water. What would you do?
To create more writing prompts for kids, check out this fun writing prompts generator.